• Welcome to The Structural Exam Forum!
  • Please feel free to explore the various threads
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduce yourself here!
(29-12-2016, 04:19 PM)lawrencechan Wrote: Hi, I am lawrence, who working in contractor to build 3-storey of school building for disabled people.

I am preparing for the next year interview.

Welcome to the Forum, Lawrence!
Hi,

I'm Tim, Hopefully sitting the exam in July this year.

Tim
(04-01-2017, 06:12 PM)Twoosnam Wrote: Hi,

I'm Tim, Hopefully sitting the exam in July this year.

Tim

Welcome Tim - It seems to be a popular name around here, you being the third!

Good luck on your exam. We just released our Exam Guidance Pack Part 1, with Part 2 on its way soon. It should be ready for the July exam sitting if all goes to plan.
Hello everyone, just discovered the website and forum which is a great resource, the advice is very much appreciated. I am planning to sit my ICE CPR this Autumn.

Keep up the great work!

Dean
(06-01-2017, 10:43 PM)deanelder Wrote: Hello everyone, just discovered the website and forum which is a great resource, the advice is very much appreciated. I am planning to sit my ICE CPR this Autumn.

Keep up the great work!

Dean

Welcome Dean!
Hi guys, I am a Structural Engineer working in the United Arab Emirates. Just started my path towards CEng ICE. Will be coming here for advice since I have none in real life.
(08-01-2017, 11:36 AM)wolverine Wrote: Hi guys, I am a Structural Engineer working in the United Arab Emirates. Just started my path towards CEng ICE. Will be coming here for advice since I have none in real life.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Welcome aboard!
Hi Tim

I'm Peter Hallsworth and a Reviewer for ICE for the last xxx years with some 400 reviews under my belt. I hope to able to offer some guidance to prospective candidates from the other side of the table to show what we are looking for and how we find out the relevant evidence. I also run a Written Exercise Group both face to face in Manchester and online using WebEx usually a week later. The objective (similar to this site) is to give everyone confidence. We gain that by sharing Mind Maps which effectively act as the Contents Page for an essay and we have some forty Generic Questions. You will probably need to amend the shared Mind Map to address the actual question you get but it is a tinkering exercise not a blank sheet of paper which certainly can offer confidence.

I have come across some really excellent candidates but unfortunately I have also come across some very poor candidates. The excellent candidates are a pleasure to review and it all seems like a discussion between friends about engineering and the challenges faced by the candidate. The failures usually result from a lack of confidence or responsibility. It is not acceptable to see a dangerous activity on site and tell me that "I went back to the office and wrote an email to the contractor".

So along with Mike Rogers I am here to help.

Peter Hallsworth
Hi all, my names Danny, I'm a structural facade engineer and having difficulty in deciding my route to chartership now that the istructe removed the facades related question from the exam. I have been a graduate member for around 5 years; graduating with an accredited M.Eng degree. I have lots of structural design experience with steel, glass and aluminium but little in the way of masonry and timber. I have designed numerous steel framed canopy structures of complex 3D geometry but little experience in the way of multi-storey building super structure and foundations. I and perhaps like many structural engineers working in the facade industry was frustrated to see the question removed from the exam and are concerned as to how they would fair designing buildings with foundations etc, particularly in the 7 hour time frame. Is it perhaps best to now consider the ice route to chartership? I would need to consider how I approach the management and commercial side carefully as have largely been working on the technical more core engineering side of things. Do you think this is all taken in to consideration in the professional review? Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks.
(14-01-2017, 12:39 PM)Dannysmith362 Wrote: Hi all, my names Danny, I'm a structural facade engineer and having difficulty in deciding my route to chartership now that the istructe removed the facades related question from the exam.

I have been a graduate member for around 5 years; graduating with an accredited M.Eng degree. I have lots of structural design experience with steel, glass and aluminium but little in the way of masonry and timber. I have designed numerous steel framed canopy structures of complex 3D geometry but little experience in the way of multi-storey building super structure and foundations.

I and perhaps like many structural engineers working in the facade industry was frustrated to see the question removed from the exam and are concerned as to how they would fair designing buildings with foundations etc, particularly in the 7 hour time frame. Is it perhaps best to now consider the ice route to chartership? I would need to consider how I approach the management and commercial side carefully as have largely been working on the technical more core engineering side of things. Do you think this is all taken in to consideration in the professional review? Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks.

I had the same situation, but in the context of offshore structures rather than facades. It's a bit unfortunate that IStructE did what they did, but unless you can get steel and concrete building or bridge experience you will find it near-impossible to pass the IStructE exam.

I would suggest following ICE for your case, or possible CIBSE though I have no idea how CIBSE works (maybe they follow UK-SPEC?). In any case your best bet would be to try to get onto some training courses or teach yourself the commercial and management skills and try to start integrating them into your daily work. Over time you should be able to notice your day-to-day decisions are made through holistic judgement - which includes your commercial, managerial, sustainability and health and safety abilities- rather than pure technical and engineering judgement. That's the point you should be applying for CEng review.