• Welcome to The Structural Exam Forum!
  • Please feel free to explore the various threads
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduce yourself here!
Hi All

I'm Ben, 10 years experience in small consultancy and I'm going though Retrospectively Collated Route and this site has been really useful so far.

Thanks
Hi Everyone,
My name is Jinlong Li. I am a structural engineer in Folkestone, Kent. Very pleased to find so many cohorts here. Hope to meet some of you sometime soon.

Cheers,
Jin
Welcome new joiners! There are hundreds of people reading this site everyday but hardly any comments. Please don't feel shy, we are all here to help each other succeed with Chartership!
Hello All,

I am Karthi. I am a Civil Engineer working in Birmingham. Nice to meet you all on the forum. I work mainly on drainage and road design for residential developments.

Best wishes

Karthi
Hi!

I am a structural engineer working for an engineering concultancy. Aiming for Chartership through the ICE.

Let's see if I can find the guidance I need to make things move a little bit! I have been quite stuck for a good time now...

Thanks!
Hi All,

I'm an Architect - jokes!

Sorry, poor attempt at humor. My names SuperRy... and my secret identity is Mark. Thanks for having me!

OK, little about myself (apologies in advance).

(1) entered the construction industry at 18.
(2) first job was for a metal decking subcontractor, in the design office, for approx 5 years.
(3) Then, worked in a multi-discipline design office for just over 2 years and ventured into the world of BIM (this was in 2006)
(4) Aquired through part time studying, a HNC for both the ICE and the CIOB. Which I then went on to study for my BSc in civil engineering, and not really used it since, other than look at buildings differently.
(5) Currently working for a reputable size, national wide design consultancy, predominantly on Large BIM level 2 projects (currently help chair our in-house BIM teams given the experience I've accumulated over the years)
(6) I'm purely Structures in background. Predominantly building design (if it wasnt clear from the above)

Which leads me to now.
I've decided to achieve my IEng after 4+ years post degree and I'm already enrolled and I have my SCE agreed etc. Just need to start for real. My South West ICE rep, is Richard Barbour, for those that may know him (it's a small world after all).

Which is how I found the site really, searching for additional Guidance. I must say, straight off the bat, I'm impressed. If I can somehow contribute and be of some use, then great. Hopefully I can pick plenty up from all you knowledgeable gents (and ladies!).

I hope that didn't come across as blowing my trumpet. Anyway, thanks for having me, can't wait to check this site out on my laptop and not my phone!

Kind Regards, Mark.
Uhh.. I mean SuperRy!! SuperRy!
*dammit*
(23-07-2018, 09:36 PM)SuperRy Wrote: Hi All,

I'm an Architect - jokes!

Sorry, poor attempt at humor. My names SuperRy... and my secret identity is Mark. Thanks for having me!

OK, little about myself (apologies in advance).

(1) entered the construction industry at 18.
(2) first job was for a metal decking subcontractor, in the design office, for approx 5 years.
(3) Then, worked in a multi-discipline design office for just over 2 years and ventured into the world of BIM (this was in 2006)
(4) Aquired through part time studying, a HNC for both the ICE and the CIOB. Which I then went on to study for my BSc in civil engineering, and not really used it since, other than look at buildings differently.
(5) Currently working for a reputable size, national wide design consultancy, predominantly on Large BIM level 2 projects (currently help chair our in-house BIM teams given the experience I've accumulated over the years)
(6) I'm purely Structures in background. Predominantly building design (if it wasnt clear from the above)

Which leads me to now.
I've decided to achieve my IEng after 4+ years post degree and I'm already enrolled and I have my SCE agreed etc. Just need to start for real. My South West ICE rep, is Richard Barbour, for those that may know him (it's a small world after all).

Which is how I found the site really, searching for additional Guidance. I must say, straight off the bat, I'm impressed. If I can somehow contribute and be of some use, then great. Hopefully I can pick plenty up from all you knowledgeable gents (and ladies!).

I hope that didn't come across as blowing my trumpet. Anyway, thanks for having me, can't wait to check this site out on my laptop and not my phone!

Kind Regards, Mark.
Uhh.. I mean SuperRy!! SuperRy!
*dammit*

Welcome SuperRy! I do know your MDO's name indeed! The best way to learn quickly is to contribute answers to other people's questions, and of course to ask your own. You will pick up loads and also learn to make fine judgements of ability which is what you will ultimately need to do to yourself.

Looking forward to seeing your posts around!
Thanks Tim, looking forward to it.
Adapt your life to adopt the equilibrium of the floor you're stood on...
Hello everyone!

My name is Carina, I have a Masters in Civil Engineering (from University of Minho in Portugal) and I'm aiming for Chartership through the IStruct. I found this website, and it looks very helpfull. Even though I have to admit it kind of put me off of my target a bit, as I have been reading comments all afternoon and i feel I will never get to the level I need to become a chartered engineer.

I have got only 3 year of experience (still a baby!), working in a structural engineer company, So I have been designing small projects all these three years (I dont think is enough though!)

I was wondering if there is anyone here that is going through exactly the same thing and might want a parter for this?! Im starting my portfolio now. So it´s kind of really early stage in all of this!

Thank you in advance!

Carina
Bem-vinda Carla! One thing which you should strive to do is ask questions where you are uncertain and answer others where you can. We are all helpful people and quite enjoy learning from others!

With 3 years of experience you could probably look at some Associate Member exam papers as these tends to be a more rigid right/wrong schemes, and the question even tells you what to calculate. This could be a good start to learning how to design a few things outside your day to day work, eg retaining walls, crane corbels etc.

Once you’ve got a few AM papers done then move onto CM level papers where the weighting on concept design increases!