The Structural Exam Forum
Introduce yourself here! - Printable Version

+- The Structural Exam Forum (https://forum.thestructuralexam.com)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://forum.thestructuralexam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Welcome (https://forum.thestructuralexam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Introduce yourself here! (/showthread.php?tid=2)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Introduce yourself here! - Tim - 18-08-2017

(18-08-2017, 10:18 AM)Kirazov Wrote:
(18-08-2017, 10:00 AM)Tim Wrote:
(18-08-2017, 09:41 AM)Kirazov Wrote: My question currently is - should I submit my application as individually managed or accredited scheme? What would be the difference in submission requirements etc.?

Thank you

Did you get signed off on another institution's (e.g. IStructE or IMechE) training programme? That will be the deciding factor I guess!

Tim, I did get signed off. However, it seems to me that the individually managed route requires less paperwork?

According to Regulation 5.2 of IStructE's Chartered Member IPD Regulations:

"The Institution does not accredit company training schemes but candidates following comparable training schemes accredited by other bodies (e.g. ICE, HKIE) may submit those training records to demonstrate compliance with the Institution’s core objectives. The experience must be in structural engineering and candidates will be required to submit their full records of training and portfolio of work when requested to do so by their reviewers. They will also be required to complete the Institution’s IPD final report forms."

So yes, it looks like you will have to submit your training scheme's portfolio from the Institution in addition to filling in the IPD reports - somewhat defeating the point of it really!

I'd just go for individually managed route, or sit the review with the other institution first and then use Mutual Recognition to take the CM Exam.

RE: Introduce yourself here! - JB - 20-08-2017

Hi all,

I'm a structural engineer in the buildings sector, going for IStructE PRI this autumn and exam next year.

Thanks for your help on the site, good work!

RE: Introduce yourself here! - Kirazov - 21-08-2017

(18-08-2017, 03:24 PM)Tim Wrote:
(18-08-2017, 10:18 AM)Kirazov Wrote:
(18-08-2017, 10:00 AM)Tim Wrote:
(18-08-2017, 09:41 AM)Kirazov Wrote: My question currently is - should I submit my application as individually managed or accredited scheme? What would be the difference in submission requirements etc.?

Thank you

Did you get signed off on another institution's (e.g. IStructE or IMechE) training programme? That will be the deciding factor I guess!

Tim, I did get signed off. However, it seems to me that the individually managed route requires less paperwork?

According to Regulation 5.2 of IStructE's Chartered Member IPD Regulations:

"The Institution does not accredit company training schemes but candidates following comparable training schemes accredited by other bodies (e.g. ICE, HKIE) may submit those training records to demonstrate compliance with the Institution’s core objectives. The experience must be in structural engineering and candidates will be required to submit their full records of training and portfolio of work when requested to do so by their reviewers. They will also be required to complete the Institution’s IPD final report forms."

So yes, it looks like you will have to submit your training scheme's portfolio from the Institution in addition to filling in the IPD reports - somewhat defeating the point of it really!

I'd just go for individually managed route, or sit the review with the other institution first and then use Mutual Recognition to take the CM Exam.

Tim, thanks for your reply. I have decided to do the retrospectively collated route as this is what suits my method of preparing portfolio and IPD final reports best. I also discussed this with the membership department of the IStructE and they agreed that this is the most suitable option for me. Best, Filip

RE: Introduce yourself here! - DL442 - 24-08-2017

Hi all,
This is a really good resource.
I work for a client and due to sit my review next month (eek!). Keen to know what, if any questions are more typical for client engineers.
Thanks

RE: Introduce yourself here! - Tim - 02-09-2017

(24-08-2017, 09:58 PM)DL442 Wrote: Hi all,
This is a really good resource.
I work for a client and due to sit my review next month (eek!). Keen to know what, if any questions are more typical for client engineers.
Thanks

Welcome! I came from a client's background too. Expect some deep questioning about project management and commercial experience, but remember to satisfy all 9 Attributes!

RE: Introduce yourself here! - theengineer - 07-09-2017

Good evening.

RE: Introduce yourself here! - neelfred - 12-09-2017

Hi,

Just looking generally for more information before the review.
Thanks

RE: Introduce yourself here! - marcus91 - 14-09-2017

Hi, IstructE exam coming up!

RE: Introduce yourself here! - Matt - 15-09-2017

Hi, I found this site really helped me over the summer in getting the IStructE objectives signed off. I am following the Individually Managed Route and found it difficult to find guidance until I followed the information for each objective on this site. Thank you, Tim, Ralph, and everyone offering advice for getting me over the first hurdle. This is a great way of people getting together and sharing experiences, and I hope to contribute whilst going through the process.

RE: Introduce yourself here! - enyel - 18-09-2017

Hi,

I found this site for advice on becoming professional qualified as a Civil & Structural engineer!